The Weston A. Price Way

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Baker's Cabinet Restoration (Post 2)

Remember the "This Old House' link from my last post?
(If not, click HERE.)

Well, the crock pot trick worked like a charm. Check out the cabinet's hardware minus three layers of paint. The first layer of paint was red...we think it was manufactured that way. Over time, it was painted a beige color and then white.

Now, it is down to the steel and will be repainted a lovely sage green.

 The pieces to the left are hinges, hasps, glass knobs, a drawer handle and the brass tag (see below) that will be re-affixed to the cabinet's upper middle. The two large round pieces go on the inside of the flour sifter cabinet. They enable the bin to be tilted outward for filling.
Tomorrow after church, we may play around with them a bit. We're trying to be better about having a true day of rest, so I'll be careful to quit should the effort begin to feel like work.

As of now, the plan is just to spray paint the hardware, (not the round pieces, glass knobs or brass tag) and Sr. Chief is set on lightly sanding the cabinet itself prior to painting.

Because I am painting with chalk paint, and part of the reason people love chalk paint is because it clings without the effort of sanding, I balked at this at first. However, when I saw that the previous paint jobs had been truly inferior, with many visible drips left to dry as drips, I agreed. He says that it will only take 20 minutes using a palm sander. I could do it myself, have done such things myself on several occasions, but he just wants to jump in, and sometimes I must admit, help is nice.

Does it come across that I'm a bit nervous about the finished product? I am, for two reasons. First, I don't trust myself explicitly with color coordination. But I do think I'm okay with my choices this time around. Secondly, well, it's Senior. Notice how I said he likes to 'jump in'? And I don't want to seem ungrateful, but well, here's the thing:

When it comes to furniture, we think differently. He thinks smooth. Sleek. Stained.
I think...Shabby Chic. Heaven knows I love it.

But until about a month ago, I didn't have a single piece of furniture with the look I adore because I've given in. But that changed recently, and I shared my heart...how I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really want to have some distressed looking stuff. And how I really (x8) want to do it myself.

And he said okay...but, "Why don't you start with something small?"

So I did. I bought an ornate frame for $5. and turned it into an awesome chalkboard.
Then, I painted another frame we already had to match it, but reversed the colors.
Then, I reversed the color again and painted a marble-topped table we've had for about twenty-five years.(Not the marble-top, just everything beneath it!)
Then I reversed the color again and painted another small table a friend gave me years ago that's needed finish help from day one. I still have to get new, old-looking knobs for that.

Four pieces in two adjoining rooms and it doesn't look like too much because of reversing the colors...and yet, the colors are nicely coordinated. I like how every single piece turned out and can hardly wait to do more.

Anyway, enough with the small projects. THIS is my chance to really spread my wings in this area and quite honestly, I believe I've put in enough practice time on the small stuff. (Although I do have my eye on an old trunk in the living room...)

I attended to those smaller projects mostly while Sr. was off doing other things, but I do think he understands that I need to have space to create things the way I like to create them.. He just happens to be wired with a 'fix-it' mentality, which means he's also always wanting to help...or maybe even do it himself...so, in the end, we sometimes butt heads a little. But mostly, it's our different preferences that cause friction.

Like, when we are in Lowe's and choosing paint, stuff is coming out of his mouth about a gloss finish and I'm feeling a hot flash coming on because I'm talking and have been talking all along, about a satin finish at most.

Finally we agreed...gloss for hardware, satin for the piece itself. The backboard will be in an eggshell texture...that's because I found a green paint in our reserves today that's a (very) workable color and it's eggshell textured. The plus thing (for me) is, once I mix the paint according to Lowe's directions for chalk paint, it will change the texture to something less reflective anyway.

Can we just get this one thing straight, please? I am not looking for reflection. None. Zilch. Nada.

It's like the Green Eggs and Ham book..."I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam I Am! I do not like them here or there, I do not like them anywhere!"

Only, in the book, the guy changes his mind in the end...but I will not be changing my mind in the end.

Still, I will compromise. Reasonably. After all, I have many years of glossy, perfectly finished, non-painted furniture to make up for.

I will concede, for example, that for protection, paste wax or a very low sheen varnish may be necessary.

Before we're done, we'll have one other texture thing to consider and that's the counter top. But because it will be used, at least sometimes, for actual food prep, we'll probably just rub in a good, safe oil for protection.

And that is good, very good, by me. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment