The Weston A. Price Way

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Bettina's Dreamy Creamer

We went to a friend's house to pick up chicken feed for our hens and ended up visiting for awhile. Unfortunately, we don't visit with them as much as we would like/should, and only the female half of the couple was home, which you might think would make for a shorter visit. The truth is, we all have much in common and if we had not been en route to another appointment, we probably would have stayed the entire afternoon because our conversation with her was, as always, inspiring.



This time around, the inspiration came in a cup. 

I could share so much about our friend here, but really, I just want to tell you about her coffee. Or rather, her coffee creamer. Yes, it is that good. I'm going to call my friend "Bettina" because you probably don't know anyone with that name and she likes her privacy...and because she is one of those few fortunate mommies I know who started off teeny and stayed teeny. You know, she's the one everyone hates because she's had children and still looks twelve-ish. Only you could never, ever hate Bettina because Bettina is beautiful and lovable outside AND in.

If you're wondering what her teeny secret is, I'm pretty sure you've come to the wrong place...OR MAYBE, you've come to the right place because Bettina's creamer is made from ingredients that are proven to satiate and nourish and therefore, the body is fully and rightly convinced that it has what it needs. Knowing this, the body will wait longer before signalling the alarm for more food. (Of course, it is up to us to listen to what our body tells us, right?)

Our hostess bears the sweet personality of a sharer and doesn't mind telling how she creates special things like this dreamy, creamy cream and without my even asking, she told me how she makes it.
And I just know you want to know...Am I right, again?

So, here goes. We'll call this...

"Bettina's Dreamy Creamer"

1 Can Trader Joe's Coconut Cream





 

1 Raw, pasture-grazed egg - (well-whisked)
1 tsp. -1Tbs. (Or to taste-Bettina uses a full TBS.) Real Vanilla

 
Sugar to taste -(Coconut Sugar is an ideal choice-Bettina uses 3 TBS.) 

Mix all ingredients together well* in a quart jar. Refrigerate and use as desired for your coffee or tea...or wherever else you may think to use it!



1 TABLESPOON COCONUT OIL-NO PIC FOR THIS...IT'S A REVISION AS I HAVE SINCE FOUND THAT I SHOULD HAVE ADDED THIS TO THE ORIGINAL RECIPE...HOWEVER, IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE IN THE TASTE OF MINE MADE PER THE ORIGINAL POST. STILL, IT IS HEALTHIER TO ADD THE OIL AND A GREAT WAY TO 'GET IT IN' TO YOUR DAILY DIET. (MARY ENIG SUGGESTS AS MUCH AS 3 TBS./DAY IN "EAT FAT, LOSE FAT".)

REVISION #2: Bettina says that to the egg, slowly whiz in the coconut cream, then the oil, sugar and vanilla.

My notes:

By all means, if you want to stick this all in a blender, as 'Handy Andy' suggests in the Comment Section below, do so! I am going to try my immersion blender next time around. I can imagine it would make the creamer even more foamy and I'm all over extra foam floating on top of my coffee!

(Hey, I'm back after trying the immersion blender and loved the foamy outcome. The concoction becomes a tad solid...sort of like a really stiff meringue...in the fridge. If you want it pourable, just take it out of the fridge a little early, but it can be spooned out of the jar just as easily and I think is even more fun to watch as it melts into your hot coffee or tea.)

You could probably use any coconut cream, but this is what Bettina uses. Also, I wrote 'real vanilla' because this is a site about real foods, not imitations. And you know about sugars, right? If not, just let me say here that although Bettina didn't specify the type, I recommend coconut sugar because it doesn't cause the amount of insulin fluctuation as regular sugar does. Another sugar I am fond of is Muscavado. It is very high in minerals and that counts for something. Agave is not a good choice. See here for more on that. 

Bettina uses this to get good coconut fat into her diet. The raw egg is her added protein bonus. The vanilla is optional for taste and only a small amount of sugar is needed because coconut has inherent sweetness. And best of all, other than the taste, is the froth it creates on top when stirred into the coffee.

You know, little pieces of heaven can be found in so many places! (Thanks, Bettina!)




No comments:

Post a Comment