The Weston A. Price Way

Friday, August 10, 2012

Soaking Nuts

This week, I've been stocking up on soaked nuts. They are so easy to make and so much better for the digestive sytem. If you remember from earlier posts, grains and nuts have phytic acid that inhibits the body's ability to absorb the nutrients within them. So, when you hear that whole grains are good for you, it's true, but the truer truth is that without imitating germination, much of that goodness is never accessed.

Worse, grains and nuts that haven't gone through germination actually can cause digestive problems and in some cases, allergic reactions. The process of soaking imitates germination and therefore exponentially increases the amount of nourishment the body can derive from the nuts or grains consumed. This simple process even cuts back on the glutens found in grains that so many are finding to be a problem.

Sprouting grains before using them is another method used for the same purpose, but to me, it's not real feasible because it requires different equipment and extra steps...as well as learning a different way to make bread from the grains.

But this week, it's not bread, it's nuts. Specifically, walnuts and pecans, but I need to make more pecans. BUT, if I can just hold my breath until my daughter's pecan tree starts dropping its fruit, (HAVE you seen the price of a bag of pecans???), I'll be in big business!

By the way, if possible, get organic. If not, at least the nut is protected by a hard shell. I learned (somewhere) that if the food has a thick skin/shell, it is safer from pesticides. Perfectly safe? No, not unless pesticides just plain are not used. On the one hand, I'd love to use everything, absolutely everything, organic. On the other hand, we've been in the process of learning how to be content on the lower end of the financial line these past few years and I understand very well, that we just can't always afford the cream of the crop, so we get the best of the crop we can manage.

Speaking of finances...I'm actually considering taking the nuts to Farmer's Markets and craft fairs. I don't know what I have to do to be able to legally sell a food item, however. It shouldn't be a big deal since they aren't cooked and the only additional ingredient is filtered water and salt...and the water is dehydrated out!

And speaking of ingredients, I have been thinking about a little change but have to give it some sampling first.

Anyway, I really am just thinking out loud right now...but it would be pretty cool to have some financial input from my little goodies.

For more about the goodness of soaked nuts, look HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment