The Weston A. Price Way

Sunday, February 19, 2012

"The Nourished Nana...Twisted"

As important as I truly believe it is to know the truth about the foods we consume is...As important as I truly believe it is to learn how to change our eating and food prep habits to better benefit our health...As important as I truly believe the information here is...for the most part...I have a hesitation about sharing it.

I adore sharing good things. I think those of you who've been here any length of time know that. But I don't like fear.

In my world, fear is the enemy. Fear is of the enemy. Fear is a tool of the enemy. I don't want to fall victim to it, nor do I want to generate it. I especially do not want to generate fear for the purpose of manipulating readers to see things my way. If you start to feel fear when reading any of the information I put here, I urge you to leave because I am here to share, not make you afraid.

One way fear manifests itself is in an urgent feeling to 'get it right'. Now, I am familiar with this feeling, and I am still in the process of getting over it. Without getting into a deep, theological discussion, which I might be inclined to do here, let it just suffice to say that while seeking to do things well and with excellence can be good, it can turn bad when it becomes overwhelming and stress-producing.

The articles you read here have been written over a long period of time. There was a longer period of time before I started to share this information in which I was studying about it and learning of it from others far ahead of me. Don't let it overwhelm you.

Let me say right now: You are safe here. I will not scold you for eating processed foods. I recommend getting away from it as much and as fast as possible, but perfection is not the goal. Progress would be a better idea of the goal.

Although I have been asked to lead/assist the leaders of WAPF Chapters, I don't think the day will ever come when I say yes to that. It would put me in too much of a box. I hate boxes. I like eating out and I can't always afford to eat at the places that sell grass-fed foods...Unless you count a few of the Arby's that are trying it on for size. If it's hard for me to dole out my money for this, with all I know about food choices, how hard would it be for friends and family who are struggling more than I financially? Moreover, many of the people I love don't have the food convictions I have and I am not going to spoil precious time I have with them by condemning their food choices.

If I pick any bones here, it is meant for the manufacturers. Those who have changed our food into something other than food in order to hear more jingle in their pockets. They tick me off because they know they are raping our foods and oftentimes, passing them off to us as healthy when the truth is far from this. There has been so much injustice done to our nation's food because of dollar idolization that it's hard to sort it all out. I am grateful to the Weston A. Price Foundation for the sorting they have done and continue to do.

I share here some of that sorting. I also go totally out of the lines from time-to-time and share something about cupcakes for grandkids or decorating...and I hope to share a bit about sewing and aprons and such little goodies as that from time-to-time. Why? Because it's my blog and I don't live, or intend to live, in the kitchen all day. I care for grandchildren, draw in pen-and-ink, clean my own house and windows, visit museums, spend time with friends, read books, sew, and so on and so on and so on...I live.

And something tells me, you do too.

Nourishment is, after all, about far more than food. So, let's get away from the fear of not living, (cooking, eating, prepping food), perfectly so we can perfectly live. And the real irony here is that perfect living is found in imperfection. Yes, I will continue to share along the same lines as I have been, but don't be surprised at changes, because they're coming.

So, The Nourished Nana will continue...but not along the same lines. It's just too confining. Today, it becomes, "The Nourished Nana....Twisted".

And just to show that things are going to be different, watch this: There will be less posts...I'm just too busy living.

Laugh. Out. Loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment