The Weston A. Price Way

Friday, September 16, 2011

Grass-Fed -The Only Safe Way to Do Meat

Windhaven Farms Grass-fed Cattle. 

 I have been reading a fantastic document from Gourmet Grassfed. They give this information to interested bloggers to help us get the word out about grass-fed beef. Most of what they say, I already knew from many other sources...but there were a few surprises as well.

I was told I could use the document in any way I see fit.  After reading the plethora of information found therein, I made the decision to make way for Gourmet Grassfed. Honestly, folks, I can't say it any better than they and feel it's a waste of precious time to try...Not to mention they give us a site to peruse, (see below), that lends even more information.

Therefore, you will be reading the exact document I have been reading. There is so much information that I am going to spread it out over two or three postings. If you've been wondering what all the to-do over grass-fed beef, (or other meats), is about...You're in the right place! I won't be giving you their info in the exact order as they have it, but otherwise, it's word-for-word, the same.

As for me, I am a convert. I can't say that when I go out, I am fortunate enough to be able to eat grass-fed all the time...It's just not available at most places. However, I am seriously...(No, I'm not saying this tongue-in-cheek)...I am seriously considering eating vegetarian when I go out so I don't risk the side-effects that come from eating conventionally raised meats. On the other hand, I am a Christian and I believe in the power of prayer. Praying over my food, especially when I am concerned about what it may harbor, has become a bigger way of life for me now that I have obtained 'conventionally raised meat awareness'.

Understand that although this document deals specifically with beef, the principles of grass-fed goodness apply to fowl and swine as well.

Ready? Hang on to your hat! (Italics and bold print are mine.)


Grain-Fed Beef Statistics

• Americans consume over 65 lbs of beef per person, per year according to the USDA.

• Grain-Fed Beef represents nearly 90% of the total beef consumed in the US. -University of Illinois

• Animals raised in Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) are routinely fed hormones and antibiotics to combat disease and fatigue.

The most lethal form of E. Coli, 0157:H7 “is believed to have evolved in the gut of feedlot cattle. These are animals that stand around in their manure all day long, eating a diet of grain that happens to turn a cow’s rumen (stomach) into an ideal habitat for E. coli 0157:H7. (The bug can’t survive long in cattle
living on grass.)" -Michael Pollan, The Vegetable-Industrial Complex, The New York Times

• The six hormones commonly used in conventional production include three which are naturally occurring Oestradiol, Progesterone and Testosterone—and three which are synthetic Zeranol, Trenbolone, and Melengestrol...hormone residues in the meat of “growth enhanced” animals and can disrupt human hormone balance, causing developmental problems, interfering with the reproductive system, and even leading to the development of breast, prostate or colon cancer. -European Union’s Scientific Committee on Veterinary Measures Relating to Public Health

• Grain used in conventional beef diets are virtually all genetically modified.

• Most disease in CAFO’s is through extensive fecal exposure.


OKAY....Now, let's look at some of the good stuff. How is GRASS-FED different?


Full Quiver Farm's Stress-Free, Grass-Fed Cattle.
Grass-Fed Beef Health Statistics

• Grass-Fed Beef has 1/3 less total fat than conventional beef

• Highly digestible saturated fats that don’t contribute to inflammation and thus can lower problematic
  cholesterol levels.

2 to 4 times higher in heart-healthy and cancer fighting Omega 3’s.

Only grass-fed meats possess the rare and extremely powerful anti-cancer agent, Conjegated Linoleic Acid

Over 7 times more Vitamin E than feedlot beef. Vitamin E is one of the most effective antioxidants available to our body. It possesses a diverse host of other beneficial attributes.

• For more Grass-Fed vs Grain-Fed statistics, visit http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm for more info    than you’ll know what to do with.

******************************
Here, I would also like to recommend the documentary, "Food, Inc." to those of you who may be new to these concepts...and after that, "Fresh". You can find links to both on this site. Until you get a chance to do that, take a look at this:





Well, that wraps it up for today...Stay tuned for more on beef products, surprising additives...and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment