While we're on the subject of thrift...Just thought I'd show off our chandelier project!
Our daughter recieved the bottom portion of this chandelier from a friend several years ago. Upon moving, she decided it wasn't really something she wanted to keep and told me I could have it if I wanted it. I knew I wanted it. That was nearly four years ago!
I always liked this unique chandelier because I am very into unique items, but I didn't care for the 70's finish of the metal. Somehow, through several yard sale seasons and "I'm getting rid of everything!" sessions, this little cutie stayed home.
In the garage.
On the deck.
Beside the outdoor trash can...but that didn't last.
And finally, in a corner of the dining room.
From this spot, it beckoned daily until at last I stopped procrastinating, told Jim what I had in mind for it, and off to Lowe's we went.
We returned with a single can of Rustoleum bronze-colored, 'hammered steel effect', spray paint.
We took off the cups and taped around the areas where we didn't want paint...It wasn't much. I cleaned the cups and saucers while Jim sprayed the metal. It ended up taking three coats because exposure to the weather had added wear to its age. But the end result was a nice bronze with a bit of a hammered look. The drier the paint, the more the effect could be seen.
Jim attached the reassembled chandelier by wire to the already existing chandelier, which came with the house and is an original hammered metal piece. It's a bit dated, but unique, which is why it is still hanging. It has always seemed too small for the room on its own and hangs too far above the table. The added cup-and-saucer chandelier, with color and texture matching the old one, just made the whole thing look right...size-wise, color-wise, and unique style-wise.